Monday, August 5, 2013

Days 33-34: Hunger?!?!


In the Bay Area, we hear about the looming BART strike on a daily basis.  (BART is our subway system.)  On the evening news last night I caught a glimpse of BART workers walking around in a circle with banners, and enthusiastically shouting “What do we want? Higher wages!  When do we want them? Now!”

I’m on strike too.  A carbohydrate strike.  Those sneaky devious carbs try to negotiate their way back into my diet when I least expect it.  Saturday night, they showed up seemingly innocently, in the form of the delicious-looking off-white bread that came with my custom-designed seared tuna salad at a “made-just-as-you-ordered” salad restaurant.  That bread looked substantial and distinguished next to edamame beans, mixed greens, and a few Nigiri-looking pieces of ahi.

Sometimes, the carbs beg to be devoured as a few Sun Chips.  Sometimes, I give in.  I may have that occasional weekly piece of bread or those few Sun Chips, but that’s as far as I’ll go towards a carb crash.  I don’t allow hostile takeovers--carb binges that is.

I’m on the carbohydrate strike or low-carb diet because, I find it easier to tolerate than other diets.  Proteins keep me full for a while.  Unfortunately, no diet is free from hunger pains.  It is when we feel the hunger that we lose the most weight.  When hunger pains strike, I can almost hear myself scream, “What do I want?  Weight loss!  When do I want it? Now!” 

No comments:

Post a Comment