Saturday, August 17, 2013

Days 42--48: Chilling With the Smurfs (Without Sugar)


I am not on first-name basis with any of the Smurfs.  I have yet to see a Smurf show or movie.  I do know that they are these blue, gnome-looking creatures who wear soft white hats with a flip and don white diapers that stretch to cover their legs and feet.

The Smurfs are trying to make children persuade their parents to take them to see the Smurf’s new movie--as if an air-conditioned theater and occupied children are not enough for summer-weary parents to make the trip.

My six-year-old son viewed the trailer on his tablet.  Looking over his shoulder, I saw one of those blue creatures hanging out by the freezer doors of a convenience store.  Through the eyes of a dieter, the Smurf looked like a scoop of vanilla ice cream or a large soft marshmallow on top of a huge blue gummy bear. The blue creature on the screen gulped down a mega-sized slushy and dropped to the floor from brainfreeze.  Brainfreeze!!!  That sounded so good on that hot day.  But where to get a diet, low-sugar one?  Certainly not at movie theaters and convenience stores, where slushies contain enough sugar for a summer-long high.

That’s when I got this idea of taking a few sugar-free icicle pops and putting them in a blender (without the sticks.)  I added low-sugar, low-fat cool whip (free food on a low-carb diet), a blob of ice, a splash of water, and, for nutrition, two table spoons of protein powder.  The potion soothed my overheated sinuses (I have a chronic sinus condition.) Thank you, you little blue creatures, my inspiration.

No comments:

Post a Comment