Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Days 35--41: Old Jeans


Our unbeguiling, humdrum bathroom scale informs me that I’m down an additional two, possibly three pounds. I wonder how accurate that is since our house is sitting on a hill, making the bathroom floor uneven and slanted.  You can get quite a range of measurements depending on where in the bathroom you place the scale. Every time my bare feet are ready to brave calibration, I make an effort to align the scale against the same two familiar—and now dear to me---cracked tiles.

The scale’s accuracy is probably further debilitated by the constantly moving San Andreas Fault, a mere mile and a half from our house.  Who knows how much the Fault maneuvers the scale.

The best indication of weight loss is being able to fit into previously unwelcoming blue jeans that refused to zip no matter how blue you turned from holding your breath.  Last night I wore a pair of jeans I couldn’t squeeze myself into a month ago.  They are my skinny jeans, although I’m far from being skinny.

Back in the days when I wore those jeans often, I was told by doctors that I had a lot of weight to lose.  I’m nowhere near my ideal weight, but watching the pounds come off makes my day.  I also console myself with the logo of More magazine, published especially for the underappreciated and medically-slandered “women of substance.”

No comments:

Post a Comment