Monday, July 1, 2013

Day 3: Carbs and the Human Progress

Sunday I tasted the low-carb pancakes for the first time. The batter consisted exclusively of eggs and protein powder.  The pancakes tasted like . . . an omelet with syrup on top (sugar free of course.)  So, that's why my six-year-old daughter didn't want to eat the pancakes I prepared for her a few days ago!  I apologized profusely to her.

For lunch, I consumer half-a-cup of low-fat ricotta.  Who knew it tasted so good, almost decadent?

After two snacks of low-fat string cheese wrapped in thin slices of deli turkey, I had one meal left. 

By 7 pm, I was exhausted and irritable.  I couldn't move.  I wanted to give my son a life-long consequence for not cleaning his room. 

A bowl of arugula with low-fat dressing hardly hit the spot. That's when I decided to consume a minuscule piece of pizza and a stale chocolate chip cookie, no more than two inches in diameter.  My transformation was instantaneous.  The low-energy ills perished.   I got off the couch and told my son to at least try to clean his room. "Heaven!" my brain was broadcasting to my body.  "This is soooo good!!!!" 

The proponents of low-carb diets say that we need to go back to eating the way humans did eons ago, before bread, pasta, and cookies became a part of our lives--the good old days when we, as hunters, consumed primarily meat, nuts, and vegetables. 

Did any of the low-carb evangelist consider that in those days we didn't have i-phones, i-pads, and therapy?  Back in those days, we didn't think much of the consequences of our actions.  Nor were we capable of creating advanced technological devices.  

It's a fact that, deprived of carbs, some begin to experience depression.  It's also a fact that software engineers and computer programmers live on cola, pizza, and candy bars. 

Could it be that our increased carb and sugar consumption was so beneficial to our brains that it enabled the technological revolution and higher self-awareness? 

I marked my diversion from the diet in the food journal.  I'll be back on the low-carb diet Monday morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment