Monday, July 8, 2013

Days 9-11: A Discouraging Word


I read dire and discouraging words yesterday. In a preamble to her new book, Big Brother, Lionel Shriver quotes The Eating Disorder Foundation saying that “the dieting industry is the only business in the world that has a 98% failure rate.”   Not knowing exactly how the Foundation defines success and failure, I assumed they meant that only 2% of people who go on diets reach their ideal weight and maintain it for the rest of their lives. 

Instead of focusing on the grim statistic, I decided to give my full attention to anecdotal evidence--to numerous stories of people losing weight later in life for health reasons and keeping it off to both prolong life and increase the quality of life.  For now, those stories are my source of inspiration. 

No comments:

Post a Comment