Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Day 6: Slimed!


Arugula, my staple, my salvation, went bad in the unopened plastic bag before the “best by” date. Arugula is one of the diet’s “free foods” which I don’t have to record in my journal. I can eat as much of it as my heart desires—and my heart has never desired more than two full salad bowls at a time.  I couldn’t believe I was undermined, “slimed,” by a bag of leaves!

The premature deterioration left me scrambling for a “free” food to supplement my chicken breast dinner.  In desperation, I turned to a frozen vegetable mix.  A little olive oil, a little garlic, a few spoonfuls of horseradish, some chopped red onion along with sprinkles of cayenne pepper, and I didn’t have to open the sweet sauce that came with the veggies, thus avoiding unnecessary sugar.

The stir fry was filling but required a watchful eye during consumption.  I had to fish out sliced carrots and water chestnuts--both no-no’s on the diet--from my plate and offer them to my greatful husband.

Arugula, I await you in your inexperienced, youthful state!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment